Charles Logan passed away on November 29, 1903. In his will, he donated four acres and the sum of $40,000 for the erection of a school for the City of Columbia. He stipulated that the title and money would be released to the school board upon the death of his wife, Louisa. Over the next few years, Louisa leased the land to the City’s professional baseball team for the modest sum of $25 per annum.
On March 16, 1912, she released her claim to the land to the City of Columbia for the construction of the school. Mrs. Logan reserved the right to occupy the premises until October 1, 1912, and promised to remove the ball park soon afterwards in order that her late husband’s dream could be realized.
The architects appointed to design the building discovered the construction costs exceeded the $40,000. The board then turned to the City of Columbia, which agreed to pay additional costs not to exceed another $40,000.
A ground breaking ceremony was held for the new school on Saturday, January 18, 1913. A feature of the exercises was the singing of “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” and “Auld Lang Syne” by 300 school children and a speech by the Honorable Wade Hampton Gibbes, Mayor of the City of Columbia. It was announced that the names of the 300 participating school children would be enrolled and placed in the cornerstone of the new school building.
The cornerstone of Logan was laid in June 1913, and classes began in December. The structure marked an advance in the design and architecture of school buildings. It was designed in the Italian Renaissance style and is marked as a civic building by the City seal above the main doorway. The new school’s equipment was of the best quality to promote high educational standards. Due to the efforts of Bessie Davis, a teacher, librarian, and, eventually, assistant principal at Logan, it was the first elementary school in Columbia to build a standardized library.
Abram Cline (A.C.) Flora was the first principal of Logan Grammar School, and later served as superintendent of the Columbia Public Schools for 22 years. Arney R. Childs served as principal beginning in 1928, and later served as dean of women at USC until her retirement. Other early principals include Caroline Voight and Charlie G. Williams, who later became state superintendent of education.
Logan School was at full capacity within its first two years. Two wings were added to the school and provided an additional eight classrooms. In 1930, the school’s auditorium was converted into a cafetorium. Logan was converted to an alternative school in 1975 and served as an adult learning center from 1980 to 1997. Richland One has renovated the school to reclaim its original use as an elementary school and brought it up to current educational standards while preserving its historical integrity. The newly renovated school contained a computer lab, internet access in each classroom, a piano lab, specially designed primary classrooms and a large multi-purpose room. Principal John DeFelice oversaw the transfer of approximately 230 students from McCants Elementary to Logan in January 2000.
Logan currently houses just under 300 students in several programs. In addition to the traditional K-5 program, the school also houses a full-day child development program, four self-contained special education classes, and three Montessori classes. Logan subscribes to the Arts in the Basic (ABC) Curriculum, and the Logan Fine Arts Program includes dance instruction, piano keyboarding instruction, theater instruction, a steel drum band, three dance ensembles, four choruses and visual arts experiences including murals for the school and other art work throughout the community. Our PE program boasts an elementary archery team. Logan’s current campus features two memorial gardens planted by students and staff.
Dr. Richard Moore served as principal from 2001 until his retirement in 2015, when he was succeeded by the current principal, Christopher Richards. In late 2013, Logan Elementary School celebrated its platinum jubilee.
The school is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated a landmark by the City of Columbia.