2320 Park St
The original house at 2320 Park was built in 1911. It was a large white two story house with columns on the front. The first inhabitants were James and Maggie Thomas. James was a conductor for the Southern Railway. Maggie was widowed about 5 years later. David and Mamie Winter moved in. He was an attorney with Cooper and Winter. After his death, Mamie lived there until her death.
The property was sold to The Boys Club of Greater Columbia in 1961. It was the first Boys Club in South Carolina. It became the Ben Arnold Memorial Boys Club in 1971 when the Ben Arnold paid off the mortgage. It had a basketball court in the back and was popular with the neighborhood boys until it burned down.
During the revitalization of Elmwood Park, a house was moved from Eau Claire and converted into a duplex for rental property.
In 2011, a new house was built conforming to the Elmwood Park historic guidelines. The style is a simple folk cottage design with a wraparound porch and a shed dormer. It is based on historic renovations in the Isle of Hope, Georgia. The slope of the lot allowed a garage and workroom beneath the back of the house.
1105 Price Avenue
James D Nunnamaker built the first house on Price Avenue in the early 1890s. At that time went Price Avenue went thorough the woods from Main to the Fairgrounds. Mr. Nunnamaker had to lay a board down to cross Price as there was a creek running down the middle of it. Mr. Nunnamaker was a bookkeeper. He was married, but had no children. When his wife died, he rented out part of the house. He died in the house.
The style of the house is Victorian and originally had a gazebo on the side. This was removed when the house was converted to rental property after his death.
1108 Price Avenue
1108 Price Avenue is a Craftsman style home. Built about 1911. The iron railings on the second story replaced the original woodern columns. The house had several occupants in its early years.
Its most famous occupant was Frank Jeffords, who grew up next door at 1104 Price. 1104 Price was an elaborate home. A neighborhood boy thought that it looked like a riverboat. Frank’s father, WH Jeffords built the house at 1104 about 1897. It was torn down in 1973 to used as parking for an office building on Belleview St.
Frank moved into 1108 before 1922 with his wife. He owned a gas station at Elmwood and Main. He conspired with two other men to murder his partner in May of 1922 for the life insurance money. He was executed later that year.